Monday, March 8, 2010

Vegie Garden Cleanup

The girls are currently having a wonderful time in the vege garden yard.  I have let them in there this afternoon, so they can scratch around, and eat up all of the bugs, grasshoppers, caterpillers and moths, before I finish the weeding and fertilise with some horse poo, top off with straw, and wait to replant up in a week or two.

I currently have some potatoes growing in some big green tubs, which are just about ready, as well as a large plot of sweet potato, and a large crop of pumpkin, which has taken over everything.  I will clean all of this up over the next day or three.... and freshen it all up.  I will leave in the sweet potatoes, and will treat them as a perennial type crop, they seem to be going stronger and stronger all of the time, so will leave them until they stop producing much, then I will look at replacing them then.  I also have a rhubarb bush that I will leave in, as well as the asparagus plant, as that is about 2 1/2 years old now, so should give us a really good crop this year. I also have a couple of chilli plants which are producing their butts off at the moment, so will leave that in as well, as well as my never ending shallot plant, which has produced non stop for about the last 10 years or so.  I intend to plant up some garlic, more potatoes, a new crop of pumpkins, cabbage, broccoli, corn, tomatoes, silverbeet, pak choy, lettuce and a few other things when I have a look at suitable autumn crops. I am hoping that the corn and tomato produce a nice crop before it cools off too much in winter.

The vege garden is still very much a work in progress so far as learning goes.  I have not ever seemed to be able to grow many tomatoes, and peas and beans are always a dismal failure, only producing a few pods. I have had great success with grape tomatoes, the pumpkins have gone pretty well, potatoes and sweet potatoes go pretty well, as does corn, zucchini, rhubarb, asparagus, shallots, lettuce and pak choy, cucumbers and watermelon. I have not had much luck with strawberries, and the first crop of silverbeet that I ever grew was fantastic, but I always seem to get brown spots all over it now. I think it will take a few years of being fairly serious about it to really get the most from them.  When I look at some of the great vege gardens on the gardening shows with beans etc 2 metres tall, I wonder how they do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment