Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Hot iron caddy for sewing class

I've been trying so hard to get some sewing done this year, but it's been quite thin on the ground so far, the first quarter of this year is nearly gone already....it's going by soooo fast.....life...please slow down a little!  I did however manage to get to a sewing club get together and we made a "Hot Iron Caddy", the idea being that at the end of a class, we can pack up our iron and not have to wait for the iron to cool down to be able to go home. It can also be used during class to iron on.  It is very, very simple to make, and is lined with a thermal fabric, especially for irons etc. It is basically just a rounded square, thermal fabric on one side, cotton fabric on the other, sandwiched together with wadding, and quilted, then the edges bound, a handle added, and some buttonholes and buttons to do it all up. A nice quick project completed in class, other than a little hand sewing of the binding, which I did when I got home.


7 comments:

  1. I have no heard of a hot iron caddy before - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice and saw one of these at a retreat recently. Would like to make one do you have the pattern? Thanks in advance Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ironing bag/mat is fabulous! Do you know where I could get directions to make one? I have been wanting to make one for a long time and it's on my mind so now I'm on a mission lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What pattern did you use for your caddy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon,
      We made the caddy at sewing class, so it wasn't a premade pattern that can be bought off the shelves unfortunately. It is just a square, about 40cm square with the edges rounded off, with fabric of your choice with heatproof wadding in the middle. This was then quilted and the edges bound. There was a handle attached to 2 adjacent sides, so that the bag could be folded up, but you could just as easily use a drawstring to pull it all up. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure I understand. If the heatproof wadding is in the middle what is the inside layer made from? On the picture it looks the the heat proof fabric is not enclosed...so that you can iron on it. If you can define the layers for me it would help. I just love your caddy and want/NEED to make one but I'm one of those that need held by the hand each step of the way. Thanks for any help you can give me. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a really cute pattern for this www.sisterscommonthread.com It's called Caddy pad and comes in different sizes for different size irons.

    ReplyDelete