Monday, June 7, 2010

Oh no, not my favourite little chicken..

I thought I would spend the morning cleaning the bathrooms, and doing the floors, but ended up doing the whole house instead. I feel so much better now that my house is clean and tidy.  It took me all day, but it is worth it. I did get into Kasey's room as well. I think once your child's room starts to really frustrate you, and your child is not able to keep it tidy or play with anything because there is so much stuff, it is a good sign to do a cull and get rid of some things. I cleaned out her toy cupboard, and got rid of all the bits of rubbish she has collected over the last few months, pictures scribbled over bits of paper, plastic rubbishy toys collected from the odd happy meal, broken bits and pieces and general clutter. I also went through her chest of drawers, and bagged up a heap of clothes to donate to the local charity shops.
This afternoon I got a phone call from the neighbour telling me that Max had one of my chooks. I raced outside to find my favourite black girl looking very dead, but to my surprise she was still alive. I quickly scooped her up, and put her under my jumper to calm her down and she is now recovering in a box in the laundry, covered with an old towel to keep her warm. She is still hanging in there so I hope she will pull through ok. She really is a lovely girl, and is one of the only ones who will sit calmly and allow us to pick her up. She actually had quite a good bond with Max and would follow him around, occasionally he would suck her head, I know that sounds awful, but he was so gentle it seemed to be an affection thing. Max is a real character actually, he thinks he is human half the time, and plays on the trampoline, and climbs up the ladder into Kasey's cubby and slides down the slide, dives and swims in the pool. Max is a little over 18 months old, and we have had him since he was 7 weeks old, and he has been around the chooks the whole time, and has never showed any signs of hurting any of them. I think he was probably trying to play with her, but chickens don't take very kindly to being played with! Max can be so gentle, he even goes into the chook pen and steals the eggs if I am not quick enought in collecting them once I let the girls out, and he brings them down in his mouth in 1 piece, and I can ask him to put them in my hand, and they are always intact. I think if he was serious about hurting her, she would be dead...but I am so surprised by him...he has been rounding them up the last couple of weeks, perhaps that has ended up being a warning sign...I really hope she pulls through, hopefully I find her wandering around in my laundry in the morning, and not dead...I think if she was going to die, she would have by now....I'm really hoping that's the case anyway....

No comments:

Post a Comment