Saturday, April 21, 2012

Still having chicken dramas...

2 more baby chickens were dead this morning, that just leaves 2 left, the little silver sussex, and 1 silver spangled hamburg. I have decided to treat them for coccidiosis, I'm not sure if this is the problem, but I don't know what else to do for them, and the treatment won't hurt them if they don't have it. I have put mum and bubs back in the small cage so I can treat them easier, I am treating mother hen as well. I am also treating the silver chinese silkie, as she isn't looking very well either, just wants to sit all of the time, so I have her in a box inside with some water and hopefully I've caught these in time. They  have all been started with the proper chicken starter mix, but apparently the medicine in this mix doesn't cover all the strains of the illness, so they can still get it. It's an incidious illness in poultry, the 2 plymouth rock chicks that were dead this morning were as healthy as they could be yesterday, running around, and I even checked on them about 11pm last night and they were all still completely fine, so whatever it is, it works very fast. I hope that I can save the ones that are left, but not much more I can do at this stage. I completely cleaned out the chicken tractor and moved it, I poured boiling water over the nesting area to try and kill off any of the oocyst bacteria that may have caused it, if that turns out to be the case.   I have spent some time outside the last couple of days, trying to clear my head from all the poultry dramas, I received my giant garlic on Friday, about 50 cloves, so they are all planted up, along with a few more lettuce and a big batch of climbing peas. I still have some beans to plant as well as cauliflower, brussel sprouts, green cauliflower, oregano, and coriander, and a few other things like snow peas and carrots. I dug some dynamic lifter and compost into the areas I planted, and then watered them over with a comfrey tea. I also harvested a nice big bucketful of worm juice today, so I will bottle that all up so I can use that as well. Hopefully this will add some much needed nutrients back in to the soil in the vegie garden. I also let the 3 new guinea fowl out today with the 2 bigger ones, they stuck with the 2 bigger ones and went away with them tonight, so that means they can now come out each day for some pick. The white chinese silkie came out for a little while as well, but put herself back in fairly quickly. It's good to see they all know where bed is for the night. Also caught up on some mowing, but still need to do the front, will try and get to that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment