Friday, May 27, 2011

Comfrey salve

Damian has had a really sore back for the last week or so, and after reading the post by Christine on the Slow Living Essentials blog about making up a comfrey salve, and it being great for bones and joints etc, I decided I would use my new found knowledge and make some up.  I have been learning quite a bit about herbs in the permaculture course, and in particular about the many benefits of comfrey, as well as learning quite a bit about natural herbal remedies in the skin care course I did last weekend.  It was quite simple, I picked quite a few large comfrey leaves while at the farm on the last day of the course yesterday, and put them in a saucepan with 600mls olive oil, and heated gently for a couple of hours until the oil had turned green. I then strained the oil, and squeezed the goodness from the leaves back into the oil, then I added 50 grams beeswax and heated until the beeswax was melted, poured into jars and waited until set.  Hopefully it does some good for his back, and if so I will use some on Diesel, as he seems to have quite sore legs as well.


1 comment:

  1. Fantastic, Deb, I'm so happy to hear you tried this! We found that the ointment needed to be applied regularly (hourly for me when I hurt my back), or several times a day if the pain is less severe. You should hopefully see some results in a day or two.. Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete